DRAG RACE RULES (pdf)
STREET DRAG RULES
WELCOME! WE HOPE YOU HAVE FUN AND PLEASE REMEMBER, THE STREET DRAGS ACTIVITIES ARE ABOUT SHOWING OFF, FAIR COMPETITION, AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, HAVING FUN! DON’T TAKE THINGS TOO SERIOUSLY! THE FOLLOWING RULES WILL HELP ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS ABOUT STREET DRAGS.
IF YOU ARE ENTERING THE PITS:
1) In the drag strip area you must stay behind the walls, barriers, pennants etc, and be aware for your own safety at all times.
2) No Carry-Ins. Alcohol is not permitted in pits.
3) If you are not racing, park your car in the pit area on the east side (farthest away from track, near farmer’s field) or north end in grass. No one may park in the south end of the pits (behind pit shack).
IF YOU ARE DRAG RACING:
1) Be aware that we will not tolerate stupidity or carelessness. This means while racing, in the pits, or at any other time while on Speedway property.
2) Any persons, whom have consumed alcohol prior or during the event, may not participate.
3) No Burnouts on race track! EVER! No Burnouts or speeding in the Pit Area (inside or outside the race track).
4) No riders. Once car leaves the pits, no one allowed in the car except the driver.
5) There is no limit on practice runs (as time permits). Just pull up to the line. We will release you…one car at a time. You may get in line in the pre-staging area in turns 3 and 4 of the “big” race track.
6) No one (except car and driver) is allowed inside the designated “pre-staging” or “staging” areas.
7) You MAY enter in more than one bracket. However, you must “move up” to a stronger bracket.
8) CYCLES – Insurance requires helmets and long sleeved clothing. You drag to designated line.
9) CARS – Drag to the start/finish line.
10) When racing begins, we will separate you into your “bracket”. We may combine brackets, depending on the number of vehicles entered. The brackets will be run in the posted order. Listen over the P.A. for your bracket to be called and be ready to report to the track. Anyone who has not reported to the staging area before the first pair of cars run in your bracket may be judged to have missed the round and will automatically be moved to the “Buyback bracket”.
11) DISQUALIFICATIONS – You will be disqualified if you “red light” (jump the start), hit a lane marker cone, or contact the wall before the finish line. In the event of multiple infractions, “first or worst” shall be the rule. Should both red-light, the car that moved first will be the loser. Should one driver red-light and the other hit a cone or the wall, that (contact) will be judged to be the “worst” infraction and that driver will be the loser.
12) Finish line judge will determine winner and loser of each pair of cars. Should run be “too-close-to-call”, judge may call for a “re-run.” In the event of a re-run, both cars will return to the staging area immediately and return to the same lanes. Judges decision is official!
13) After each of your bracket runs, slow responsibly and exit the track at the top of turn one of the oval track. Courtesy dictates that the car in the left lane exits first, but common-sense should apply. Once you exit track to the return road, follow the instructions of the official. Winners will be directed back up the return road to the staging area, loser will be directed to the pits.
14) BUYBACKS – “Buybacks” are a second chance, where a driver can re-enter competition. “Buybacks” will be available to drivers eliminated in the first or second rounds ONLY! “Buyback” availability is subject to time and/or weather constraints. If you are eliminated and wish to “buyback”, proceed immediately to the pit shack. “Buyback” brackets will be held immediately following both the first and second rounds. Cost to enter “buyback” bracket is $5 with the winner of that bracket advancing to the next round of competition. One “buyback” per competitor, per bracket.
“Burnout Contest” will be held after the completion of the drag races. Sign up at the pit shack to compete, entry fee is $5.
Contest will be held on the concrete pad on return road, in front of pit grandstands. Each entrant will be given a maximum of 30 seconds to “Light ‘Em Up”. Winner to be determined by judge’s panel, crowd response, or a mixture of both.
SHINE AND SHOW
We’ve seen it go, but can it “Show?” We will do the shine and show after the drag races and burnout contest. Park your car in the shine and show area and turn your flashers on. Our judges will be around to check your ride out. Neon, hydraulics, and stereos have been known to influence judges.
TYPICAL EVENT SCHEDULE
3:30 Pit Opens – 4:15 Practice – 5:00 Brackets start
6:30 Burnout contest – 7:15 Shine & Show
You may declare your Bracket (Class) at the pit shack when you enter. Tech Officials reserve right to deny any car the right to compete in any class, or at all. If you have any questions contact them. They are located in the staging area. Additional Brackets may be added. NOTE: You may be moved up a Bracket if we determine your vehicle does not meet the parameters of the current Bracket you are participating in.
Typical Brackets to be run
(Each bracket is issued a sticker for cars competing designated by color and a number):
FRONT WHEEL DRIVE*
DOMESTIC MUSCLE CAR*
IMPORT PERFORMANCE CAR*
TUNER DETROIT IRON
TUNER FRONT WHEEL DRIVE
TUNER MUSCLE CAR
HIGH SKOOL (MUST BE IN HIGH SCHOOL AGE 16+ WITH A DRIVER’S LICENSE)
* =OEM: “Original Equipment Manufacturer” Vehicle is a stock and unaltered street vehicle from manufacturer.
We may split or combine brackets depending on the number of participants. Our goal is to add more brackets for better parity…and to have fun
REMEMBER YOU MAY “Buy Back” - Any one that loses in their bracket during the first two rounds may buy back into the bracket. However, “buybacks” are single elimination and must be purchased at pit shack as long as time permits
RAIN POLICY: a rain check will be honored if less than ½ of brackets have been run. Cars whose bracket is not run, MUST pick up a coupon valid for a bracket entry of equal value for the next drag event.
RAIN DATES: The following Sunday (if there is no conflict with the Speedway’s other events scheduled).